Sub Hourly Clipping Losses

shri

Hello,

Is Pvsyst working on any features to estimate subhourly clipping? I've read a previous research paper Pvsyst published on a method to estimate using sub hourly data sets. Is this method something you are working on incorporating into the software and do you have a general timeframe of when it would be available?

• 2 months later...

Hello, I'd like to see VDE Americas' & Tim Townsend's Triple-C model incorporated into PVsyst. Upwards of 20% of the USA solar PV market is financed using CCC as the solution for accurate modeling of subhourly clipping. It's simple and straightforward to implement in PVsyst with several key advantages over the method PVsyst published at WCPEC-8 in Sept. 2022. Here's a recent, related LinkedIn post, and a new white paper is available upon request and will soon be posted (likely also on LinkedIn) after which I'll follow up and post it on this thread:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7087861833511960576/

The v1 model was initially published at PVPMC 2022:

https://pvpmc.sandia.gov/download/4415/

The model's now at a stable v5 with many more, high quality, ground-measured 1-min. datasets added to the mix.

• 3 weeks later...

P.S. I forgot to include the title of the poster (PVPMC link above) which I'm adding now partly for my own future copy/paste benefit:

The Triple-C Method for Correctly Simulating PV Clipping Loss by Townsend & Sauer et al.

• 3 months later...

The Triple-C ("CCC") white paper is now available at the following URL:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tim-townsend-93a4a711_triple-c-a-subhourly-clipping-correction-activity-7138341773319331840-kNWO/

The authors, and many other major PV industry stakeholders, would like PVsyst SA to please directly incorporate this specific modeling option into the PVsyst software program as soon as possible. Thank you.

P.S. I forgot to include the title of the newly published CCC white paper by Townsend and Sauer:

Full title:

Triple-C: Clouds, Capacity, and Clipping
A Method to Correct Traditional Hourly-Based PV Simulations to Account for Subhourly Clipping Loss

Short title:

Triple-C: A Subhourly Clipping Correction for PV Modeling

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 8:51 AM, Michele Oliosi said:

Hi ! Thanks for the interest in this feature. Yes we are working on implementing that in PVsyst !
We will be trying to release it this year, but it's not possible to be more specific at the moment.

Hello Michele!  There is any update about this? Do you plan to implement it somewhen this year?

23 hours ago, Sergio Táboas said:

Hello Michele!  There is any update about this? Do you plan to implement it somewhen this year?

Development of version 8 took longer than expected. Indeed, this time “This year” should be a more trustworthy statement.