Changing the tilt

PLRP

If I change the tilt in a project, for example, from 15 degrees to 30 degrees, should the number of modules that can fit in the project change? When I did this on my project, the number of modules remained the same. The only change was in increase in the produced energy (MWh/year).

Thanks!

If you only change the tilt then you change teh geometry of the surface of your modules and not their power. Therefore the number of modules will not get affected by changing the positioning of your surface (either changing the tilt and/or orientation). Obviously the change in the positioning of the system may introduce changes in the energy yield.

• 3 weeks later...
In my opinion, the optimal angle depends upon the location on earth. So, panel at higher latitudes would have a differnt optimal angle than the one at equator. The best way is to put in the most accurate weather data available and iterate for different values of tilt angle to find out the optimal at the istallation location.

I believe that what you mean is on a given flat surface to fit more or less PV modules. This yes is related with the tilt. If you reduce the tilt, then the interow distance can be changed, maintaining the shadowing losses. And maybe this way you fit another row of modules, therefore more power. But most probably more power does not mean higher energy yield. The energy yield per kWp is the comparison. So for 1kWp or for 10MWp the figure should be the same (as long as the shading losses are maintained)

Optimal angle represents the best posible angle for energy generation; achieve the highest energy yield per kWp. This is something that you can find easily using PVsyst

When inside a project, meaning that you have defined the site location, go to Orientation. Choose Fixed Tilted Plane. On the bottom right you will see a button "Show Optimization". Clicking there the below part changes into graphs where the optimal angle and orientation is the peak value on the graph. Even if you do not press the button to see the graphs, the number there can give you the optimal angle (as you have the ratio between losses and optimal). When this % is 0.0 you have the optimal angle and orientation. Hope that i have understood what you are looking and i was helpful. Regards,