Near Shadings Simulation

Tim K

Hi,

I am attempting to model a modified single axis tracker in PVsyst by constructing a shading scene in "Near Shadings".

I was hoping to simulate a whole (1) MWAC inverter block worth of trackers, but after building the scene and trying to run the simulation

PVsyst runs very slowly and eventually ends the program.

Therefore, I decided to scale up by tracker rows and E-W center to center row spacing by a factor of 10 in order to run the simulation. That way,

the area of shading will be very close to the area of the system and I can produce a shading table. So for instance, if a "real-life" typical row is 2m

in width and c-c row spacing is 6.1 m, I scaled them up by a factor of (10) to 20m and 61m respectively in order to successfully run the simulation. Is

this the correct approach for using "Near Shadings"?

Also, if I am implementing a N-S tilt in my simulation, what does PVsyst assume for shading on the modules in the N-S direction? If the spacing (pitch)

is not great enough and there is shading on the modules, how does this affect each individual module's production?

Thank you for your help.

Tim

Scaling the tracking rows (by a same factor for the tracker's width and pitch) is indeed a very good idea, that I adviced for sheds since a long time.

However:

- there may be errors due to edge effects at the extremities: if you also scale the tracker lenghth (i.e. diminish the number of trackers) I think the simulation should be quite representative.

- if you use shadings "according to strings", you should also scale the string's sizes (i.e. a string rectangle will represent several strings).

- this is not correct for the electrical losses calculated with the "module layout", which are based on the module's sizes.