PAN file format

roy.emmerich

I'm conducting some research concerning PV module performance and would like to create a custom PAN file based on measured data from a specific model of PV module located at various locations around the world.

Could anybody shed some light (pun intended) on the data format of a v6 PAN file and how one would create such a (binary?) file with external software (e.g. Matlab, Scilab, python, etc.)

So far I know that one can generate PAN files from within PVsyst based on the STC values extracted from the PHOTON database. I would like to create a PAN file which includes more detailed data covering module performance in a variety of climatic and light intensity conditions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The PAN files are written in a specific binary format, only readable/writable by PVsyst.

If you want to manage PAN files explicitely, you can use the Import/Export facility to an EXCEL document.

You have a template of this EXCEL document in your \PVsyst6_Data\UserData\. The Import/Export procedure is explained in this document.

However it is of course not possible to add your own parameters in the file, besides the "official" format. How would they be recognized by PVsyst ???

The PAN files are written in a specific binary format, only readable/writable by PVsyst.

Okay so I take it you mean it is a proprietary format that you're not willing to elaborate on?

If you want to manage PAN files explicitely, you can use the Import/Export facility to an EXCEL document.

You have a template of this EXCEL document in your \PVsyst6_Data\UserData\. The Import/Export procedure is explained in this document.

Super, this is very helpful. That means I can create a CSV file for my module and just import it into PVsyst?

I have a few questions regarding the "PV Modules V6.0" sheet in the excel spreadsheet entitled "Components.xls" from the \PVsyst6_Data\UserData\ folder:

1. I don't see any compensation for PV module performance in relation to humidity. Do you foresee this as a setting in the future?
  2. Cell W7 (maximum power temperature coefficient) contains an incomplete comment:

"For crystalline modules: if not specified, will..."

what is missing?

However it is of course not possible to add your own parameters in the file, besides the "official" format. How would they be recognized by PVsyst ???

No this is an exercise to understand what PVsyst will accept in the way of module performance parameters.

For the PAN "proprietary" format: if you want to reproduce the old DELPHI encoding of reals on 6 bytes, and modify/update your reading according to all specific parameters defined (or not) for each PV module, I can give you the format. You will probably spend several days (or weeks) for using it.

I really don't know any model specifying the effects of the humidity on PV modules, and I can't imagine which phenomenons could affect the PV module behaviour (except morning condensing effects). Please explain.

However the meteo data of PVsyst don't include the Humidity information in the present time, and I don't intend to include it unless very strong reasons.

Now for the comment of the W7 cell, you should indeed read: "For crystalline modules: if not specified, will be a result of the one-diode model, which is very close to the usual reality".

For the PAN "proprietary" format: if you want to reproduce the old DELPHI encoding of reals on 6 bytes, and modify/update your reading according to all specific parameters defined (or not) for each PV module, I can give you the format. You will probably spend several days (or weeks) for using it.

That doesn't sound like much fun! I'll stick to text thanks :)

I really don't know any model specifying the effects of the humidity on PV modules, and I can't imagine which phenomenons could affect the PV module behaviour (except morning condensing effects). Please explain.

It's just that I've been hearing mutterings of panels performing less well in humid conditions over a long period of time. Some say it has to do with the moisture/heat causing the backing to delaminate and allowing corrosion to set in. I was just prodding you to see whether you know anything about it and whether it may, at some time in the future, be included in the modelling stage or whether it is just a quality issue brought about by a poor/untested choice of materials on the part of the manufacturer.

Now for the comment of the W7 cell, you should indeed read: "For crystalline modules: if not specified, will be a result of the one-diode model, which is very close to the usual reality".

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Roy