Simulation of a dome piled with PV panels

azein

Hi,

Do you think there is a way to simulate a dome shape PV system in PVsyst?

(given that it will require multiple orientations connected to the same inverter?)

If I only put 2 different orientations on the same inverter, would it be possible to make the simulation?

Please advise on how you would do it.

Many thanks

Hi,

I can manage to have one orientation per string.

But I would also like to put 3 strings per inverter, and so I would have to have 2 orientations per inverter, with a 24degrees difference between the 2 orientations.

Maybe I can dissicate the system and simulate only 2 orientations a time and then sum the energy production of all the simulations?

Yes, that's how I was thinking of doing this simuation. Thanks

But, if I can do it, why can't PVsyst do it? :roll:

I'm not a programming expert, but I would imagine that a small piece of code would be able to dissicate a 20 orientations project on 10 inverters into 10 x 2 orientations project on one inverter, simulate those sub-projects one by one as per the current simulation code, before summing everything up.

No offense meant :oops:

Adnan

You are absolutely right about that, PVsyst is really good enough, and I believe there are other upgrades that are more urgent than this.

multi-heterogeneous orientations will maybe come later, especially that PV modules are getting cheaper and cheaper and so the perfect orientation is becoming less critical and installers will put PV panels on most of the available surfaces.

As for the micro-inverters, it is certainly more appropriate on such systems, but honestly I haven't used micro-inverters on any of my projects. I should definetly do a cost comparison. By the way, how would you estimate the production of microinverters?!

I am indeed preparing a multi-orientation option for the next version 6.13 of PVsyst (up to 8 different orientations). With a shading calculation specific for each orientation, without any angular restrictions between planes as previously.

"I'm not a programming expert, but I would imagine that a small piece of code would be able to dissicate a 20 orientations project":

I'm working on this implementation since more than 2 months. I can confirm that this is not "just a little bit of code". It is a very deep improvement, which involves namely many user dialog issues.

It affects all parts of the software (orientation, system, shadings, module layout), and I'm really not sure that this will work perfectly just from the first issue.