Bifacial model feature only adds +2-3% extra production

Adam Bell

Hello, I made a very very simple system, using the ZNshine 450W bifacial PV module.

I wanted to see how much extra production the bifacial side adds.

So I ran the model with and without the bifacial model. The difference is less than 3% production?

I followed the PVSyst guide to model bifacial systems. Can anyone explain why the bifacial model only adds ~3% production?

image.thumb.png.90ffa79c9084abb9080b5f8d321038a6.png

image.thumb.png.35dcfb769f9693fbbacc7d7643ac3a74.png

image.thumb.png.946ca0625b0a567f1c03b58817194bcc.png

It is due to your model. What is your albedo and other bifacial settings like height from ground? Where is the project located, what is the GHI? You have a 78% GCR, which is extremely high, and your tilt is only 10 degrees. You will not see a high bifacial gain with that design. 

Edited by dtarin

Thank you, that would make sense. Also, it is San Jose California. I attached the GHI graph screenshot

I was also wondering if, in the system tab, I should double the number of strings because I am using "Twin Half-cut cells" modules ?

And if I should activate "Electrical Effect" in orientation tab? Selecting that lowers the production slightly ~2%

I selected the default 0.30 albedo, and the height is 2 ft (0.61 m ) from the ground.

Thank you!

image.thumb.png.69238ca8f46fdb3139aae5e60bbd2f54.png

I am sorry for the late reply. I realized after the fact what a silly question it is to double the strings. And yes, I included the electrical effect by defining two strings, the cell width as approximately 8cm. Yes the roof should be white, its that typical membrane covering on commercial roofs.