multiple orientations, single mppt

wilsonxsun

Hi all,

I am trying to run a simulation of a 100kW system.

The system contains 1 central inverter with 1 MPPT.

However the panels have 3 orientations that are slightly different to each other.

I understand with 2 orientations, i can use the mixed #1 and #2 option, however what if there were 3 orientations connected to one tracker, is there a way to run an successful simulation?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

• 3 years later...

PVsyst only treats the mix of 2 orientations on a given MPPT input.

If you have 3 orientations, you should define an average between two of them. The results will not be very different.

When do you mean with average between them? Lets consider an extreme case where we have 2 orientations: -90S and +90S. The average would be 0S (??) but the result couldn´t be more misleading.

I am trying to compare mismatch losses of central inverters and string inverters for minor differences in orientation.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

The simpler way is to redefine your inverter with 3 MPPT inputs, and attribute one sub-array to each input.

The mismatch between orientations (i.e. between strings in different orientations) is usually very low (a fraction of %). You can check this by defining one sub-array with a "mixed" orientation. Here the calculation is correct, as it uses the mix of both I/V curves.