Soiling loss during snow loss

saikatghosh90

I am estimating the snow loss using Townsends model and soiling loss using Kimber's model based on daily rainfall data. I am using POWER NASA data to obtain the daily rainfall.

THe following is the snow loss and soiling loss estimated for certain place in US-

Loss Jan  Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Soiling loss % 1.39 2.37 2.33 1.52 0.57 0.51 0.62 0.68 0.94 1.35 2.18 2.91
Snow Loss % 1.47 1.89 0.76 0.12 0.01 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.26 1.00

It can be seen in the months when snow loss are high, the soiling loss obtained from Kimber's model is also high.

But IMO, the snow will also induce some cleaning effect while melting, thus soiling loss be lower than estimated using Kimber's model. So, soiling loss% in the months when snow loss is high, in my opinion we should consider lower loss. Say, in Jan instead of 1.39%, can we consider 0.5%, because snow loss is also higher ?

Edited by saikatghosh90

• saikatghosh90 changed the title to Soiling loss during snow loss

There is no single right answer. Consider April, snow loss not very substantial, the average is 0.12%, which means half the time it will be less and you would consider that to mean there is not a "cleaning event" taking place. The preceding month is 0.76%, which is also low. It would be more helpful to look at the rainfall and snowfall quantities in inches instead of the soiling percentages to get an idea of how much precipitation (soling/liquid) it is receiving on average. And then keep in mind these are averages. Do you want to be conservative or aggressive? 

You can consider a number of ways to come up with a combined profile. I dont have all of the data, but just based off this might consider adding a baseline soiling rate to Jan, Feb, Mar, and Dec snow loss %s, and take the soiling loss %s the remainder months. 

• 4 weeks later...