Parallel Install for subversions

dtarin

I do not know why parallel installations for subversions was removed, but when installing updates, there is not an option for it. There are bugs in every update, and replacing a current, working version for a bugged version is a waste of time if we need to go back to a previous install. We need to uninstall completely and then reinstall to go back to a previous version (see screenshot).

We need to be able to evaluate two or more versions at once thoroughly, and it can take time. If there is some method I am not aware of, please let me know, but I just installed 7.2.9 from 7.2.6, and did not see an option. I downloaded the installer from the website and did not update through the app update screen when the software loads.

2021-12-14_21-08-21.png.174e4066fd45e638651f1998ad0df998.png

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

It is possible to install versions in parallel, but only for minor and major versions (7.0, 7.1, 7.2, ...).

The patch versions (7.2.8, 7.2.9, ..., 7.2.11), cannot be installed in parallel, this is the case since version 7.

You say that there are new bugs in each version, we try to fix as many as possible in order to improve the quality of the software. PVsyst being a long-standing software, certain corrections can cause unexpected behavior which escapes our quality system. If you encounter any, do not hesitate to let us know by sending us an email at support@pvsyst.com. We will try to propose a fix quickly and give you a workaround in the meantime if necessary.

Know that we remain mobilized to improve the daily use of PVsyst.

Thank you for the reply. The concern is not with development, but the inability to run two subversions at the same time. It is not possible to properly investigate new versions for differences in production or report issues to support while still being able to carry out work responsibilities should we encounter any errors in the updated version. As it stands, I need a second license on a second machine to run two in parallel.

Yes you're right, the patch system (I mean the 3rd digit of the version) is normally used to make hotfixes, but I must admit that sometimes there are also feature additions and noticeable improvements in these patches.

Giving the possibility to install patches in parallel is a big deal because it completely breaks the installation system currently used by PVsyst. But it's an interesting point of view that we need to discuss internally.

Thank you for your feedback