PVsyst's forum

Welcome on PVsyst's forum.
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:52 pm

All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: PSM3 Data VS TMY3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:55 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the meteo data I should use for estimating production in US. I'm currently using the build-in NREL API and I believe that pulls PSM3 data from NREL/NSRDB. I'm just wondering what is the difference between the PSM3 data and the TMY3 data collected from actual ground stations and which one is more acurate/reliable?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: PSM3 Data VS TMY3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:14 pm 

NSRDB ground station data is a bit old, and varies in uncertainty (Class I-III, with III having highest uncertainty). Class II-III are generally not used due to the uncertainty and quality of data. However the other issue with this source is the proximity of these stations to your site and how representative it might or might not be.

PSMv3 compared to some commercially available satellite data providers (for TMY data) has been quite high in GHI in my experience (3-6%). You are able to select your location however, which is a benefit compared to NSRDB. Perhaps look at both and consider the result might be somewhere in between the two (NSRDB is often lower GHI compared to PSMv3 and other sources).