How can i draw different terrain fields except flat ones

Konstantina

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible in PVSYST5 or PVSYST6 to draw my own scene and introduce different terrain fields, for example not just a flat field but a field which would have a small curve or a dump.In general not a flat terain but rather rough one.Can I do it by building one object above another one with different inclination in order to achieve that or not? Is there even better, an option for not flat terrains which helps you with that?

Thank you very much.

There is no direct mean for defining a ground within PVsyst at the moment, except by using normal objects for approximating it. You can also simply define different altitudes for your rows, without drawing the terrain.

However there is another software named Helios3D, in which you can draw a terrain from Autocad references, draw and study you whole PV system, and then import this into PVsyst for the shadings analysis and the simulation.

• 8 months later...

I have developed some tools that help me define ground in PVsyst by using two different methods. One way is by creating the surface with many elementary shading objects(like triangles) that approximate the surface. I do this by creating a transformation procedure from survey data to PVsyst elementary shading objects. This transformation procedure is an algorithm that determines the appropriate position, angles, and lengths of elementary shading surfaces (like triangles) to make the desired surface. This method has not proven to be worthwhile to make a ground surface globally because the many objects that are required to make the surface also make PVsyst very very slow to operate. I only use this method for specific ground locations that might cause shading. The other method is more technical than the first method and is hard to describe in this forum. However, this method can be used to make more global surfaces and does not make PVsyst slow to operate. I have had a lot of success with this method.

In addition to drawing terrain surfaces, I have developed some tools that make it really easy for me to translate AutoCAD geometry to PVsyst. For example, these tools take the AutoCAD geometry and determine the relative placement of all the PV planes, Trees, and shading objects in terms of PVsyst quantities (positions, lengths and orientations). Using these tools I have reduced PVsyst modeling time on a specific project from a week to about three hours with higher fidelity to the original AutoCAD file.

It seems that several people have developed their own techniques for using data from external drawing software. Few of them are publicly available.

Here at PVsyst, we are on the way of developing the import of terrain drawings from AutoCAD, as well as the positioning of tables of modules on this terrain within PVsyst.

This should be available within some few months.

But we didn't yet study the possibility of a general import of full scenes or shading objects from AutoCAD.

• 6 months later...