Module Orientation for Standalone PV system

Sharoff Dion

Hi,

I am trying to orientate the PV modules using the Quick optimization with respect to the yearly irradiation yield. However, Once i select the yearly orientation yield and clicked ok, the software automatically goes to the optimization with respect to winter.

Is anyone facing this issue? 

Capture.PNG

Does that mean I am unable to change the optimizing period? I want to optimize my standalone system with regard to the yearly irradiation yield, so i click on the yearly irradiation yield but everytime I click ok and go back to the orientation, PVSYST returns it to the default of optimization with respect to winter

If you have made an orientation and azimuth choice with an annual irradiance optimization, the first estimates appear. When you click on OK and then return to the window, PVsyst does not change the Azimuth and tilt values but does not show the graph by default in Winter (the most unfavorable) this does not change the simulation or your parameters

Does that mean that for grid-connected system PVSYST uses the yearly irradiation yield as default parameter in the simulation? and the optimum tilt is the latitude of the location to maximize the yearly energy and to show this the quick optimization tool with respect to yearly irradiation energy should be done? 

For the same system but a standalone configuration PVSYST uses the winter months as default parameter in the simulation? and the tilt should be re-defined to get 0% loss with respect to optimum and maximise the energy on the winter months hence meaning that it should not be the same tilt as the grid-connected system?

Really appreciate your help

• 2 weeks later...

In other words:

The graph selected (Yearly, Summer, or Winter) has no impact on the simulation.

What matters for the simulation are the Azimuth and Tilt values you have entered in Field Parameters.

The graph shown by default (e.g. winter for stand alone systems) is not a recommendation. It just reflects what (we think) most stand-alone users are interested in. If you want to choose the tilt and azimuth that optimize the yield for the whole year, you can do so.