Power factor doesn't affect energy output

Shorouk

Hi, 

Remember that the Active Power [kW] =  Apparent power [kVA] * cos(Phi).

The real power (i.e. corresponding to a useable energy) is indeed the active power. This is what is produced by the PV array and transformed by the inverter into output power.

The apparent Power  is the quadratic sum of the active power and the reactive power. But the reactive power IS NOT A POWER.  You cannot produce movement or heat with it.

If the limit is specified as Active power, the actual limit is completely independent on the Power factor.

Check your OND file. If on the Output Parameters tab, Nominal AC Power definition is set to Apparent power, you will need to select in Energy management > Power factor "inverter PNom defined as Apparent Power", and if applying a grid limit, on that tab, under specified power factor, select limit in active power

On 11/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, Lazare Fesnien said:

Hi, 

Remember that the Active Power [kW] =  Apparent power [kVA] * cos(Phi).

The real power (i.e. corresponding to a useable energy) is indeed the active power. This is what is produced by the PV array and transformed by the inverter into output power.

The apparent Power  is the quadratic sum of the active power and the reactive power. But the reactive power IS NOT A POWER.  You cannot produce movement or heat with it.

If the limit is specified as Active power, the actual limit is completely independent on the Power factor.

So incase of a powerplant required to be 50MWac and I know that from the grid code of the country the power factor is  0.9 so should I put inverters equivalent to 50 MVA or equivalent to 50MW/0.9 = 55.5 MVA