Sandia Model Database no longer supported?

linkeshd

It has come to my attention while digging into this issue that the Sandia model database has not been updated for a long time.  In fact, it seems to no longer be supported by Sandia National Labs, NREL, Sunspot, or other initiatives.  PVSyst has allowed the selection of the Sandia model for modules which are not in the database (apparently), but I would love to see some feedback from the PVSyst developers - is the Sandia Model Database for the IAM selection valid anymore?

Also, by the way, the link from the PVSyst help files on the Sandia Module Database section is broken, and should be updated to lead to here: https://www.osti.gov/biblio/919131sca5ep/

(For convenience, this is the page that needs updating: https://www.pvsyst.com/help/index.html?sandia_model.htm)

Edited by linkeshd
Add helpful links to correct reference and help page. Try to understand why this is hidden.

Hi linkeshd and thanks for the feedback. We will update the link in the help.

When using the Sandia model for a model out of the database, one will apply the "default" parameters:
b₀ = 1 , b₁ = -0.002438 , b₂ = 0.003103 , b₃ = -0.0001246 , b₄ = 0.0000001211 , b₅ = -0.00000000136

Of course it is generally incorrect to use these values.

Please reas the help    "Physical models used > PV Module - Standard one-diode-model > Sandia Model for PV modules".

Everything is explained here.  See also the report    SAND2004-3535 (2004)

The Sandia model has been developed by the Sandia Laboratories in the years 1990-2000. The elaboration of the Sandia Model parameters for one module requires a detailed measurement of many I/V curves, during about 10 days.

The Sandia Laboratories have measured and characterized about 100 commercial PV modules up to 2004,  However to my knowing they did not publish any new data since about this date. These data are available in PVsyst.

The main objective of implementing this model in PVsyst was to closely compare its behaviour to the PVsyst one-diode model. This allowed to establish the low-light behaviour in outdoor conditions (and therefore the Rserie value) of this sample of modules.

• 1 year later...

The Sandia model is completely obsolete. It cannot be used without specific Sandia detailed measurements. And the latest available measurements are those included in the PVsyst database (recorede about  2005 ?).

This model had been inplemented in PVsyst just for a comparison with the one-diode model of PVsyst.