[How to] adjust treshold SOC of solar controller ?

solarly

Hello everyone !

When I want to change the SOC threshold of a solar controller (any of them), PVsyst seems to be not able to change it properly. Every modifications keep the values as default after closing and even after saving change to another file. Is it a real issues or just wrong manipulation ? I don't know yet and if someone could tell me I will appreciate.

Meanwhile, I found a work around into the hidden parameters. If you want to change SOC and so DOD of your project design go (back) to main menu > Preferences > Hidden parameters > Category: Controllers and Converters

Then scroll down to SOC Discharging triggering ON or OFF according to your battery technology. Make change and close windows with OK. Now go (back) to your project design, and go to section input parameters > System > PV array. Unmark and mark Universal Controller check box in order to tell PVsyst to load the new SOC parameters. Now your next simulation should take care of your new SOC setting.

In my case I set SOC parameters to :

SOC Discharging triggering OFF, L-A batteries : 0.50

SOC Discharging triggering ON, L-A batteries : 0.65

I keep 15% of hysteresis as a general rule of thumb but lower hysteresis could be apply as well.

Notice 1 : the hidden parameters is a volatile setting. You have to set your own one each time you quit PVsyst.

Notice 2 : I work with PVsyst v6.64 - TRIAL (for the moment).

I don't know such problems when setting the SOC values in the Controller's parameters and saving it as a new component.

Remember that you can specify the controller's thresholds either as Voltage or as SOC. However with the Voltage specification, the corresponding SOC will depend on the Battery voltage model.

Please explain exactly:

- with which version of PVsyst,

- how you modify/save this component, and which component ?

- what is not correct.

NB: The SOC thresholds of the controller are used during the hourly simulation.

The pre-sizing tool uses a specific value for the disconnect SOC threshold, which is specified in the Hidden parameters, page "Stand-alone System Pre-sizing", item "SOC minimum threshold".

I don't know such problems when setting the SOC values in the Controller's parameters and saving it as a new component.

Remember that you can specify the controller's thresholds either as Voltage or as SOC. However with the Voltage specification, the corresponding SOC will depend on the Battery voltage model.

Please explain exactly:

- with which version of PVsyst,

- how you modify/save this component, and which component ?

- what is not correct.

NB: The SOC thresholds of the controller are used during the hourly simulation.

The pre-sizing tool uses a specific value for the disconnect SOC threshold, which is specified in the Hidden parameters, page "Stand-alone System Pre-sizing", item "SOC minimum threshold".

Hi,

With which version of PVsyst ?

v6.64 - TRIAL

How do you modify/save this component, and which component ?

I select a solar charge controller (a MPPT one) from the manufacturers list or the generic one. Then I open its configuration file (a new window pop up). I go to tab thresholds and then modify the SOC trigger OFF and ON. Because I have made some change, PVsyst tell me that I need to save as. So I do it (window pop up close) and select my new custom configuration on the list.

what is not correct ?

If I start my simulation, the report shows that the battery management control stay at its default value (which is Discharging SOC = 0.20 / 0.45). If I check my custom configuration by open it, I can see that nothing has changed. Everything go back to its default values after saving my config to another file.

• 2 years later...